the birth story

3:24 PM

38 weeks pregnant: We went to the doctor for our weekly checkup and found out I was 3cm dilated and 50% effaced. I was having contractions for the last week too! We were so excited! The doctor said he could be here any day! I called my mom and dad who were coming in to town that next week. We were happy and sad at the same time because we all really wanted them to be here for the birth.

39 weeks pregnant: No baby yet! My parents made it in to town and we went to the doctor on Tuesday. 4cm dilated and 80% effaced! The doctor scrapped my membranes and said she thought she would see me later that afternoon or evening in labor at the hospital. YEAH!! We went to walk the mall to try and get things going....didn't work

40 weeks pregnant: STILL NO BABY!! I was getting so frustrated! I was having contractions so I started doing everything I could to induce labor....EVERYTHING! {well except for caster oil....I had to draw the line somewhere...} still nothing progressing.Finally.....I started to get contractions closer together so I called the doctor and she said to head into labor and delivery for monitoring .
We went, we waited, we were monitored, then we were sent home....false labor....boo.....

december 24th.........
{five days late}

1:30am
I woke up with some pretty strong contractions. I tossed and turned in bed thinking it was just the same thing going on but a bit stronger.
Nothing was going away! The pain was starting to get consistent.
I woke Isaiah up and we called in my bestie Corinne to be with Kaylee....
yep...at 2am on Christmas Eve!

2:00am{ish}
Isaiah and I decided to leave for the hospital before she made it to the house because the contractions were coming closer and closer together. My parents were up and getting ready so we decided to meet them at the hospital.

We made it to the hospital and had to go through the ER because it was after hours in labor and delivery. I was sitting in line in my wheel chair breathing and toning through the pain while some guy in front of us with something going on with his angle was taking his sweet time checking in! Finally it was our turn and I was checked in through ER and wheeled back to labor and delivery triage. The nurse asked me all the standard questions and I answered through the contractions that seemed to be coming faster and faster and more painful.
She decided to check my cervix to see how far along I was and she was shocked to find out I was 8-9cm already! She hurried me into the delivery room and said we were going to have a baby within an hour or so!
I semi freaked out!
I labored with Kaylee for almost 38 hours so this was WAY faster than I was anticipating.
My birth plan was to have an epidural so I didn't feel the pain and was going to be laughing all the way to pushing! Having a baby without drugs was NOT the plan!
They called the anesthesiologist anyways for me because I was convinced I still had time to get the epidural. He came in within 15 min and the doctor decided to check me again to see if I was progressing. YEP! 9-10cm!!!
She said there really was no time to get the epidural...she said I was going to have this baby within 30 mins!!

Crazy but this was me in the last bit of labor {8-9cm}. During the contraction is was really intense but in between them I was so excited. The nurses were joking with me saying I was handling labor better than 99% of the women they see. I was talking and joking with everyone in between the pain. I even said Merry Christmas to the doctor when she came in to deliver and everyone started laughing at me.

All the grandparents waiting patiently in the room to meet the newest little guy
I told them it was like going to a movie and they needed popcorn and sodas

4:00am {ish}
I had to push and that was that!
I really didn't think I could do it. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. It was soooo intense!!! At one point I started saying "I cant do this....I cant do this!" Isaiah and my dad were right there coaching me along telling me I could and I gave it everything I had.
The only way I can describe it was pure instinct. My body totally took over and every muscle inside me was working for one purpose...to get this baby out!

4:19am
NATHAN MICHAEL TORRES
makes his entrance into the world
9.1lbs 21 1/2in long

Nathan had to be assessed by the NICU doctors because there was some meconium when they broke my water. He turned out A-okay and it was time to meet him for the first time


first bath

meeting big sister Kaylee

meeting Santa
Nothing says Christmas baby like a picture with Santa!
This super cute couple came around to take pictures with the new babies. They do this every year. I think it is the cutest thing ever that he had his first picture with Santa on his birthday.

coming home
We were able to go home on Christmas morning!
Kaylee was so excited to wake up on Christmas and come to the hospital. She wanted to get all dressed up to get us. So cute!

our Christmas miracle

There are no words to describe how your heart just grows with a new baby. I am so in love with him, more in love with Isaiah and Kaylee and feel so blessed to have these precious gifts from God.
I am thankful for a smooth and successful delivery and a healthy baby and to have our parents there with us to support us and experience such a life changing event.

I am most excited to know our family is complete and I can't wait to see what the future holds for the Torres family.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. love this story! i love that nathan made you wait so long to appear & then once he made up his mind he was here within minutes! good work mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great birth story! I was laughing and cracking jokes in between contractions too when I was fully dilated and pushing. Sometimes humor is the best way to cope with something hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little christmas miracle. What a beautiful addition to your already wonderful family. I love the jokes and merry christmas! I can imagine you almost yelling it. :) I can't believe the guy in front of you was such a jerk and didn't let you go in front of him!! Anyways... Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story, beautiful baby, beautiful Mom!

    ReplyDelete